New contract with LondonWaste Ltd confirmed
The Authority serves seven London boroughs with a total population of some 1.9m. The Authority arranges the management of all residual wastes and most recyclable and organic wastes in its area.
The contract is set to last until 1 December 2025 includes:
- The reception, treatment and disposal of residual wastes;
- The operation of Re-use and Recycling Centres (RRCs), including the recycling of wastes and the transfer of residual wastes to a disposal point;
- The reception and treatment of separately collected organic wastes;
- The reception and transportation of other separately collected wastes for recycling by third parties; and
- The reception and transportation of other separately collected clinical and offensive wastes for treatment by third parties.
The contract is expected to provide an annual reduction in the cost of services and landfill tax of some £5m per year initially (most of which comes from landfill tax savings).